Rector for Joint Ministry (Part-Time), Imperial Valley, California
We seek an ordained priest for a joint ministry with two Episcopal parishes located in California’s Imperial Valley. We are two inclusive, educated, committed congregations, with many active retirees. Responsibilities include celebration of weekly services, day-to-day and strategic leadership of the congregations, pastoral care, and a commitment to active community outreach.
Sts. Peter and Paul Episcopal Church in downtown El Centro is a multi-faceted parish that gathers people together from throughout California’s Imperial Valley. Our community is impressively diverse for its size, with members from differing linguistic, ethnic, and economic backgrounds. Our church has emerged out of a long period of uncertainty and change brought on by instability in our leadership, as we have relied upon long-term supply priests over the past three years. We are excited to begin building around our existing core, to begin growing again and convey Christ’s love to the wider community around us.
To learn more about Sts. Peter and Paul Church, please visit our website at saintspandp.wordpress.com. Our parish’s Ministry Portfolio is available upon request.
All Saints’ Episcopal Church is a small but energetic parish in Brawley whose membership is mainly drawn from the vibrant agricultural area in and around our town. We also have had several years since our last permanent priest and are eager to work with new leadership. Our website is found at https://allsaintsbrawley.wordpress.com.
At our two Imperial Valley parishes, the Rector will lead the full range of ministry: preaching, teaching, pastoral care, liturgical planning, and leadership. The Rector will also be responsible for specific areas of ministry, depending on the blend of gifts and interests between the Rector and our laity. These should include:
- Coordination with the Vestry on initiatives to broaden the life of the churches beyond Sunday worship
- Guiding and supporting the laity as we work to revitalize our children’s programs
- Ministry and outreach to the large number of Spanish-speakers within our community
- Outreach to the large numbers of “snowbirds” who leave the northern states and Canada to spend much of the autumn and winter in the Imperial Valley
Fluency in Spanish is a major asset in the Imperial Valley (although the lack of Spanish proficiency is not a deal-breaker).
The Rector will be:
- A collegial, consensus-building leader open to others’ ideas and opinions
- A creative thinker comfortable with exercising initiative
- Eager to grow our ministry and reach out to the surrounding community
The Imperial Valley Episcopal parishes welcome all applicants. Compensation will meet Diocesan guidelines for a half-time priest. Please submit your résumé, responses to written questions, and two sample sermons (audio and/or video preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please limit your responses to no more than (and perhaps much less than) 250 words per question.
- Why are you interested in this position?
- In which areas of ministry do you believe you are strongest? In which areas of ministry are you most experienced? Which areas of ministry do you most enjoy?
- What is an example you can give of a leading a successful ministry?
- How do you take care of yourself physically, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually?